The following is allegedly an excerpt from a 'Youth Guide'
handed out to teenagers by a religious organization:
A Guide to Self-Control: Overcoming Masturbation
- Pray fervently and out loud when the temptations are the strongest.
- When the temptation to masturbate is strong, yell
"Stop!" to those thoughts as loudly as you can in your mind.
- Follow a program of vigorous daily exercise, which reduce emotional
tension and depression.
- Set a goal of abstinence. Begin with a day, then a week, month,
- Finally, commit yourself to never doing it again.
- Make a pocket calendar for a month on a small card. Carry it with
you but show it to no one. If you masturbate, color that day
black. Your goal will be to have no black days. The calendar becomes a
strong visual reminder, and should be looked at when you are tempted
to add another black day. Keep your calendar up until you have
at least three clear months.
- When on the toilet or showering, leave the door partly open.
- Arise immediately in the mornings. Don't lie awake in bed -- start
each day with enthusiastic activity.
- Avoid people, situations, pictures and reading material that might
create sexual excitement.
- Wear pajamas that are difficult to open, yet loose and not
- Put on several layers of clothing that would be difficult to remove
while half asleep.
- Employ aversion therapy. To cancel out the pleasurableness of
masturbating, associate something very distasteful with the act. For
example, imagine bathing in a tub of worms and eating some of
- Nocturnal emissions or "wet dreams" empty the seminal
vesicles at night during sleep. The impulses that cause the emptying
come from the central nervous system.
- In severe cases, tie a hand to the bed frame.